June 30, 2015

Meet Gus!

About two weeks ago we became a family of three when we added this cool dude to our family!
It's just too bad he wasn't happy about it at all!
Let me start by saying I'm still kind of shocked this really happened. If you would have told me a year ago that we would bring a puppy into our family I would have told you no way, and people who know me at all were pretty surprised when I told them about our new addition! Now I really have never had anything AGAINST dogs, but I definitely wouldn't label me or my husband "dog people". Both of us had a dog growing up, but neither of our families have had pets since we were really young, so we were just really not that into them and, up until recently, had no desire of adding a pet to our family.

But, for whatever reason, something changed and I started to ever so slightly entertain the idea back in January. I think it was just the fact that we finally have a somewhat normal life with a house, yard, normal work schedules, very little travel, and a lot more free time than in dental school life. I am blessed with a job schedule that allows me a lot of free time and long weekends, and I found myself looking for a productive way to fill that time.

Being that I don't have a single spontaneous bone in my body, this was not a quick process. There were months of conversations that started with "it might be fun" and "maybe one day" leading to, "I'll just check this book out from the library and learn more about it", leading to "let me just look up some breeders to see how much they cost", to "let's just go meet the adult dogs at the breeder to see how we like being around them" and before I knew it we left the breeder with a deposit down on a puppy that hadn't even been born yet! The funny thing is, I was the one who initially planted this seed, and I had NO plans of reserving a puppy the day we visited the breeder. I just knew I would want to take a little more time after the visit to talk things over for the thousandth time before officially committing. Then, before I knew it, Adam was reaching for his checkbook asking who to make it out to! So there was that! I think actually being around the dogs finally convinced him, and I also think he knew that if he didn't just commit right then I might never talk myself into it. So, after reserving our spot we had 3 months of preparing, reading books, and educating ourselves on just what it is we got ourselves into and finally went to pick up our little guy a few weeks ago from Buford, GA! 

So here's a huge photo dump of our life the past two weeks with our new addition!
Gus with his mom and all his brothers and sisters.

Gus at 5 weeks old
6 weeks old-- this is the day we went to pick him out as our puppy! 
8 weeks old -- the night before we picked him up!
Last minute kisses from Mama before we take him home!
annddd... one last meal! ;)
He did GREAT on his car ride home! For about the first 10 minutes he was really curious trying to crawl around check everything out but then he settled right in for a nap! We stopped about half way home for a potty break and he got out and did his business right away like he knew exactly what we were stopping for!

Hanging out in his new place!
I think Adam's heart has grown 5 sizes in the past two weeks. ;)

We put Gus in his crate for the night and went to bed fully expecting to hear him crying/whining within a few minutes. We fell asleep and were shocked to wake up and realize it was 6:30 am! I couldn't believe it! So thankful to have a great little sleeper.

Friday night we took him to Home Depot just to get out of the house for awhile.. he loved all the attention! 
Another great night of sleep!
First trip to the Vet!

One of my best friends, Townsend, has a golden retriever, Sully, that is exactly 3 months older than Gus. We met up for a play date on Saturday and they had a blast! Gus was asleep before we even pulled out of the driveway! I can't believe that Gus will be as big as Sully in only 3 months!

 



We have found Gus in the funniest sleeping positions since he's been home. We grabbed a few pictures the first few times thinking we were capturing a funny moment, but it's becoming pretty much the norm now! I think it's safe to say he's pretty comfortable here. :)

And some other pictures from our first two weeks:


He LOVES riding in the car with the window down!
Playing on the big football field!
Happy, happy, happy after his first day of school!

We found a sandbox at a local playground and he had a blast digging!
Gotten SO big already in only two weeks! Wish we could keep him this size forever!

Gus has really been the sweetest puppy over the past few weeks and we never knew how much fun we would have with him! We are leaving this weekend for a long vacation and are already getting so sad to leave him for 10 days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment